Basil Pesto Recipe
- 1 tightly packed cup of fresh basil leaves.
- 1 tightly packed cup of fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 or 2 Garlic cloves.
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil.
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese (or less according to taste).
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Put all ingredients into a blender and blend well. This pesto will keep for several weeks in the fridge and will freeze well. Toss a small amount through hot pasta, spread on bruschetta with Italian cheese and chopped tomato, stir through soup like minestrone etc.
Fun facts about Basil
- It was found in mummies in Egypt because the ancient Egyptian’s used it for embalming.
- It is native to India.
- Basil is in the same family as mint, rosemary, lavender and oregano.
- There are only 15 calories in every 100grams.
- It has excellent digestive and ant inflammatory properties.