- 1 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup vegetable oil (or melted coconut oil)
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup grated courgette
*optional – 1 cup of choc chips or chopped nuts & raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Grease a 9x5 (or 8x4) inch loaf pan
- Mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg (and chocolate chips if you are adding them) in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, vanilla and courgette together until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking gently until just combined and without overmixing. You should have a semi-thick batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake at 45 – 55 minutes. You can pop tinfoil loosely over the top about half way through to prevent heavy browning.
- Monitor your loaf as baking times will vary between different ovens. Test the loaf by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the middle of the loaf. It will be ready once the skewer comes out mostly clean without raw batter.
- Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack. Allow to cool before slicing.
Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.